Saturday, August 20, 2011

Tom's Ukulele update

So on Monday I injured my ribs while skating, and had to put off working for a few days.  I was feeling good enough to work today, and hadn't showered, so I figured this would be a good opportunity.

I was working fast and steady, so I don't have as many pics this time around.  I cut out the headstock and finished shaping the area where the break angle occurs.  I also drilled the tonuer holes, and added the decal.


After that I worked on cleaning up a couple spots where I had some saw marks by making a filler from sawdust and woodglue.  While that was setting, I did the same with the body and sanded the whole thing smooth. 

Once the neck putty was dry, I sanded that all off and drilled the dowels I'm using instead of a dovetail.  I'm pretty pleased with how that turned out, although my brad point drill bit went a little deep and I had to go back over it with the putty. 



I had to wait a bit for my drill to charge, but I painted up the dowels, back of fretboard, and underside of the heel with titebond and clamped it up.  Should be solid as a rock in an hour or two.




Tomorrow the bridge goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment