Friday, August 26, 2011

Tom's Ukulele, finishing

So this week has been all about finishing.  Instead of using shellac on this one, I was advised to go with wipe on polyurethane to get used to the method.  There isn't really much to fuck up, I don't have to mix it, and there's very little sanding involved.  I've got about 4 coats on right now, and will probably do one more before polishing it with some super fine grit compound to smooth out the uneven spots.  Right now it's hanging up on a little jig I made on the workbench drying.


It came out a little darker than I expected.  The Poly had a very slight blonde tint to it that I guess darkened up the wood a little.  It did kinda make the binding look like real ivory though, so thats pretty cool.  I'm hoping to have this done by Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment