Sunday, August 14, 2011

Tom's Ukulele, Body Bindings

So I finally made it to Chicago today to pick up my box from Specimen.  My sister wanted to go to the high school All-American baseball game, so I took that opportunity to go get my stuff. 

When we got home, I got everything set up in the garage, made my little jig up to hold the body in place, and routed the channels for the binding.


I had all my tape laid out and ready to go, so I got out the heatgun and went to work.  I forgot how much of a pain this part is.  You really have to work fast.  My thumbs are also a bit raw from it, but oh well.  I got the top strip molded and glued in, and I let it sit for about an hour before taking the tape off.



After I was confident that it had fully set, I went to work on the back.  I accidentally spilled a little glue on the back, but that will sand out when I level it all out tomorrow.  There were also a couple bubbles from where I didn't work fast enough, but those will also be taken care of before I seal the whole thing.



I had used a clamp on the back to make sure the ends stayed together.  I had to go back and touch up the top after it popped out of the tape, so I made sure this time it would stay.  After that set for awhile, and I did as many touchups as I could with clamps, I took it all off, and here's where I'm at now:



I'll sand off the glue spots, and touch up where needed in the morning.  I'll also try to complete all the sanding/levelling/flushing and get some pics up of that sometime before monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment