Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Tom's Ukulele, Neck part 2

So the next day I tackled the first half of the fretboard.  I did all the math for the fret scale, got out the digital calipers and fret saw, and cut all the slots.  Let me tell you, I'll never do this for a guitar.  Too much sawing, and hard to stay precise.  So after I got all my slots cut, I layed out my outline.



I may scoot the nut forward a couple millimeters, I want to make sure it gets placed on a flat surface, and it'll give me the option of joining at the 11th as opposed to the 12th fret. 

I cut the outline out by hand today.  I seem to have forgotten to take a pic of that.  It was pretty ugly, and took a few hours of sanding and filing to bring the overhang down to my pencil lines.  After I was satisfied with the edges, I marked the spots for the inlay dots, and drilled the holes.


I had to take a break after this to run to walmart to get some craft sticks to mix epoxy with.  As soon as I got back, I gathered up all the sawdust I could find from the sanding into a dixie cup, mixed in the epoxy, and clamped in my mother of pearl dots.  Here it is after some sanding to remove excess epoxy, and some scratches.



After this, I got out my heat gun, and a scrap of binding that was plenty long enough to wrap the whole fretboard, and molded it around the end.  I let it harden back up, then I glued it all in, where it now sits curing.  Tomorrow I plan on fretting it up and attaching to the neck.


I might go check on it in an hour or two.  If it's set, i'll add a pic.  Stay tuned.



No comments:

Post a Comment