Friday, August 5, 2011

Tom's Ukulele, Back attachment

I let the glue sit about 4-5 hours with the clamps on.  Its supposed to take about an hour or two to harden, but like everything else, I like to be sure of things.  Plus its late and I got caught up in cartoons on tv.  I went out around 5 to take em all off and check the results.


I think it came out pretty damn good.  I'll note that the reason the whole thing looks crooked is due to 2 factors.  1)The braces are slightly offset, and 2)I cut the endblocks by hand, so they're bound to be a tad off.  There also appears to be a slight hump along the lower bout, but I seem to have accidentally made one in the exact same spot on the other side.  I think it adds some character, gives it a very slight violin look.

Anyway, I printed up a label to paste inside.  I was blanking on ideas for a logo, so I just made one similar to the Mosrite logo, and added in a model, serial number, and date lines.



I had trimmed up all the braces to fit after setting the clamps on the top, and gave the inside a 320/600 sanding, then hit it with some 0000 steel wool to erase my tool marks.

So fast forward a few hours, after I pasted the label in, I once again sanded everything level along the edges.  After that, I painted it up with glue, lined up the back, and clamped it on.  I used a few extra this time, the back has a slight curve to it, so I wanted to make sure I got full coverage.



I'll check on it tomorrow morning/afternoon and start trimming it all flush as soon as I remember where I put the bit I got from Stew Mac last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment