Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Tom's Ukulele, Fretting

So I guess I forgot to take a couple pics, but I guess I don't want EVERY step being shown.  Anyways, last I left off, I had bound the fingerboard and inlayed it.  Once I had sanded the binding down flush and polished up the fretboard, I went ahead and glued it onto the neck.  After letting that set overnight, I trimmed down the neck a little bit and hammered and glued in all the frets.


It took some work to get a couple of the frets in, one of my strips/rolls of fretwire had a super tight radius, so the last few frets kept popping out. I ended up using a thicker viscosity (sp?) superglue on those and clamped them in overnight.

This morning I did all the levelling/bevelling/crowning on them.  I ended up having to use a traditional 3 sided file for some of the troublesome frets to get them to fit into my crowning file.  After that, I gave the whole fretboard a polishing, and set up a jig for my handheld belt sander to make it work as a stationary sander and sanded the rest of the neck flush with the fretboard.  Now its ready for shaping, which I'll tackle after lunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment