Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tom's Ukulele, kerfing/linings

So I decided that since I was in such a good mood today, I'd get even MORE work done.  The neck and tailblocks went in just fine, with minimal amounts of glue to scrape.  I decided that since it was still early, Might as well get a little more done today. 

Stew Mac and LMII sell pre cut/shaped linings for a few bucks a piece, but me being the type of person I am, decided to hell with that nonsense.  Tom is a very close, longtime friend, and he wanted something truly original and hand made.  So I decided to go ahead and cut hundreds of notches by hand out of loyalty and nothing better to do. 


It took awhile, but I really take pride in my work, and try to do as much by hand as possible.  After cutting a 36" long 1/4" poplar dowel, I broke it into a few pieces and started gluing it in.  For those of you who like to poke fun at my excessive use of clamps...you're gonna love this...



Bought a 50 pack of clothespins at the dollar store after seeing someone use this method on a full sized acoustic build.  Not sure if this is the proper method, but it works great. 

I may or may not decide to do the other half tonight. Most likely I'll do it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment