Thursday, August 4, 2011

Tom's Ukulele, Top joining

Yesterday I added some 1/4" side supports along a few curved areas to provide extra strength.  I also added some strips of veneer to each side of the neck/tail blocks.  The book I was reading recommended it to make the glue joint stronger, and also because I had hand cut the blocks and they were a little undersized.  I took a picture of it, but it was before I sanded a few things flush, so it just looked like garbage and I decided not to post it.

Tonight, I trimmed up the braces to fit inside the kerfing, and also sanded down all the uneven spots so it would be completely flush and fit correctly.  I then painted some glue around the edges, and on the end blocks, let it set for a few minutes to become tacky, and placed my top on to line up.  It came out pretty even, although I noticed that the sides are about 1/16" off center at the tail.  I had planned on inlaying a strip of lighter wood there anyways, so it won't make a difference.  Here's the pic of the top clamped on.


Yeah, I know thats a lot of clamps for a small instrument, but I prefer to play it save and not have loose spots.  Tomorrow I will attach the back, and if I have time, trim it all up with a flush router bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment