Sunday, July 31, 2011

Tom's Ukulele, Neck

So I had made a neck blank earlier out of some nice 2 colored walnut I had, complete with heel block.  It was a bit short, so I decided to do a scarf joint, similar to how Washburns and Ibanez do their headstock.  It was my first time trying it, so needless to say I messed up the cut and had to start over.  I ended up taking a 2.125" section off of a walnut body blank I had made 2 weeks ago.  I intend to do a smaller body size out of it, and it was 16.5" wide, so it didn't hurt too bad. 

So I ended up taking that, made sure I cut it an inch longer than needed, and put the heel block on it.  Just took the clamps off a few minutes ago and sanded off the leftover glue that i couldn't scrape off with a razor blade.


I'm gonna go with a shorter, Martin style headstock instead of the Harmony/Silvertone/Stella shape I had originally planned so I won't have to mess up another joint.  I already showered after sweating my butt off all day, so I'll do the cutting tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment