Sunday, July 3, 2011

Gibson Southern Jumbo Update

I apologize for the lack of updates this week.  The saddle blank I had ordered arrived earlier in the week, but had a crack in it, so I had to order another one.  The seller I bought the original from was in China (yeah, i know, big mistake, but the color matched the camel bone nut, so i grabbed it), and I wasn't about to pay to send it back and wait for a new one, which could take up to a month, so I ordered one semi-locally and it got here in 2 days.  Spent a few hours shaping it both to the correct height/radius, and also to the contour of the bridge.  It still needs some minor tweaking, but i think it came out pretty well.

I also finished the internal back bracing, and the strip down the middle to add support where there was a minor crack forming from the old stuff falling out, and tonight I tackled the top crack.  I massaged some titebond into the crack, then levelled it out, and wiped it clean.  After that, I added another strip underneath to support the crack so it won't split again, and will be notching the top braces to accomodate it when I put them in on monday.  Snapped a few pics, and attempted to get a usable one from the inside.  It'll be better when I get an inspection cam.



Used my magnets once again, the brace in back is new.  The original had a nasty split in it, so I whipped up a new one out of a blank I had sitting around.  More to come Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment