Monday, May 9, 2011

Regal part III

So I decided to post this as a seperate entry.  After taking all the clamps off last night, I got to work on removing the back so I could reattach the braces.  I was worried that I'd have to build a makeshift steamer for the task, but the hide glue was pretty decomposed and it popped right off after 10 minutes of working around it with a hot steak knife.  I'm pausing at this stage for now because there are 3 routes I could go with the restoration.  A)Completely rebrace the top using modern X bracing patterns, B)Install a bridge doctor to lower the beer belly to a playable height, or C) Use the original braces, and install a trapese tailpiece to take the tension off of the belly of the guitar.  I'm waiting for Lou to decide which direction he wants me to go before I continue any futher with the top. 

As far as the back goes, I should be able to use 3 of the 4 original braces that were inside the guitar.  One was cracked, so I'm debating whether to glue it, or cut a new one.  I may just cut a new set out of some spruce boards I have laying around so I can try to reduce the amount of warping on the back, but I'll have to get my chisels sharpened before doing that.  Either way, its going smoothly and I'm 100% confident this will be playable again very soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment