Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Frankenstrat pickguard replacement

A friend of mine recently picked up a frankenstrat at an estate sale that had an ugly ass fake diamond plated pickguard sticker on it.  He decided to throw me some business and let me change it out for him.  The guitar itself is actually really nice.  Has a higher end Wilkinson tremolo on it, and seymour duncan pickups that usually retail for almost what he paid for it.  The best I can tell is that the body and neck came from one of the licensed aftermarket retailers, allparts, warmoth, etc... and has a fender decal on the headstock.  The pickups were different than the single coils I'm used to, so rather than just buying an aftermarket pickguard, I cut it myself out of some 3 ply pearloid material I had.


It looks like someone just printed this out on decal paper, its really low resolution and flat looking.

I used the original as a template and traced it out on the new material.  As I suspected, the 2 "single coils" had been slightly widened to fit the mini humbuckers.

All finished and strung up.

No comments:

Post a Comment