Tuesday, June 21, 2011

1952 Gibson Southern Jumbo - Assessment and start


So I finally got off my ass during the Cubs rain delay and took the strings off and got started figuring out everything I need to do.  The first thing I did was take the fallen braces out of the body, at which point, some Balsa strips running up the back all fell out. 



I had some scrap mahogany laying around, so I used my hobby/framing table saw to cut some new strips and cut em down to size.



For some reason that pic won't post in landscape format, but I numbered the strips so I won't have to fumble around figuring out which one is which when I glue them down.

At some point, the original saddle was replaced with what appears to be some random piece of plastic, and it was glued down, so I may have to cut it out since it won't budge.


Aside from that, there's a loose piece of binding at the heel end of the fretboard.  Shouldn't be too difficult, just slow and tedious work making sure I place everything correctly.


I need to go pick up a couple things in the morning so I can mix up some hide glue for the braces, as well as some stuff to use as brace jacks, and I'll be off to the races.

No comments:

Post a Comment