Monday, August 24, 2009

Massive progress

So I did the weekend seminar on construction at school. 15 hours of working, although I realistically probably worked half that cuz i kept having to take breaks cuz the tools chew up my hands. I'm not sure if I have pics of every step, but there's a ton.
First thing I did saturday was cut and fine tune the neck tenon, then glue the fretboard on and cut out the neck taper.


While the glue was setting on that, Ian helped me glue my Sequoia cap onto the chambered body. We used a bunch of scraps of wood left over from his Horn speakers so the clamps wouldn't dig into the figured wood.

So while that was setting, after taking the neck off the caul, I glued some ears on the sides of the headstock to accomodate my modified Mosrite shape. I had the good idea to join the edges before cutting em out so that they'd glue on without a lot of sanding.


Since the ears weren't completely precise, I had to do a bit of sanding so when I safety plane the back to uniform thickness, the ears won't go flying off. After that I got the template worked out and transfered and we cut out the headstock shape. I had Ian do that since I'm still getting used to the bandsaw and needed to see how to do it on an angle like that. But here's the shape, a little oversized to accomodate for refinement and routing.



I'll do all the sunday work in another post, since its mostly just arch carving.

No comments:

Post a Comment